Wednesday, October 21, 2015

WELLNESS : Back to Basics


For the longest time I  have struggled with my weight.  My New Year’s resolutions were long gone two weeks into the year. Finally, I made 2015 the year to reward myself with a little perspiration. I fondly call it health equity.   Hitting it hard at the gym was great, but it wasn’t enough. I had to return to the basics; the food pyramid.  Yes, ancient Egypt does come to mind.  
 
I love food, but it's usually the wrong kinds of foods. I detested the word DIET, it suggests a temporary, short-term fix and I have sampled them all. For a month I studied my eating patterns.  When I was happy, I ate.  When I was sad, I ate.  When a diet failed, I ate more. 
 
Armed with determination, getting back on track is now paying off!
 
 The U.S Department of Agriculture released  The New Food Pyramid in 2005 that announced exercise as a part of the food pyramid and added personalized intake profiles. How considerate!

Healthy eating, exercise and sufficient rest are all lifestyles choices that will put one on the path to improved wellness.   Focus your attention on things you can control and it helps to be proactive about scheduling time to help balance your daily routines.

Here are a few tips for losing weight by utilizing of the food pyramid:

                *Avoid those foods rich in sugar and fat.  

               *Buy lean cuts of meat and limit the portion size to three ounces.

               *Use dairy products that are low in fat or no fat.

               *Consume at least three servings of fruits per day.

               *Incorporate whole grains and vegetables.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment